Bergamot Bedtime Aromatherapy Balm: A soothing balm infused with a sleepy time blend of essential oils.
Bedtime is easily one of my favorite times of the day. After hours of hustling, bustling, and keeping up with my children, bedtime is a welcome respite. On a good day, my kids cuddle up and listen to stories before falling fast asleep. On most days, things don’t go quite so smoothly. Aromatherapy formulations, like this Bergamot Bedtime Aromatherapy Balm, can help bring the energy level down and encourage a quicker, easier bedtime for everybody.
Our Bergamot Bedtime Aromatherapy Balm is basically a solid massage oil. We combined moisturizing Babassu Oil with rich, creamy Nilotica Shea Butter to carry a carefully concocted blend of calming essential oils. Sweet bergamot and chamomile blend beautifully with musky ylang ylang and woody cedar. The bright green scents of spearmint, lavender, and juniper finish off this gorgeous aromatherapy treat.
About the Ingredients
Our organic babassu oil is a nourishing and hydrating semi-solid vegetable oil pressed from the babassu palm. Rich in Laurie acid, babassu is an excellent choice for conditioning skin and hair. It also makes an excellent massage oil.
Softer and creamier than typical shea varieties, Nilotica shea butter offers a delightful texture along with excellent moisturizing benefits. Nilotica shea butter provides deep hydration to both skin and hair care recipes.
Our FCF Organic Bergamot Essential Oil offers the delightful aroma of bergamot without the phytotoxicity concerns typically associated with bergamot oils. Offering an essential oil free of furanocoumarin allows for a much wider range of uses for bergamot. The sweet, citrus and floral aroma of Bergamot Essential Oil blends very well with spices, woods, and herbs. In aromatherapy, bergamot is often considered uplifting, balancing, and rejuvenating.
An excellent lavender variety for use in massage blends, organic lavindin grosso is believed to help support wellness and promote relaxation. Lavindin grosso has a characteristically herbaceous scent, but is not overly camphorous or medicinal.
Roman Chamomile is famous for its use in calming formulations and is often used in applications meant to encourage sleep and restfulness. Its sweet, apple-like aroma makes a delightful and delicate main ingredient in bedtime essential oil blends.
Cedarwood essential oil has a deep woody aroma that is instantly recognizable. This bold base note can act as a fixative, helping to reinforce the other aromas in a blend. Cedar is often used to encourage a sense of calm and relaxation in aromatherapy formulations.
Spearmint Essential Oil has a slightly sweeter and more mild aroma than peppermint, making it a great choice for complementing other oils in blends. We love how our Organic Spearmint Essential Oil blends with the tart and cheerful aroma of bergamot.
Juniper essential oil has a warm, peppery pine scent that acts as a middle note in aromatic formulations. While juniper is often included in energizing blends it can also encourage restfulness when combined with other oils that provide such benefits.
The beautiful aroma of ylang ylang essential oil has a deep, fragrant, and exotic scent that is prized for its use in perfumery and skin care. In aromatherapy, ylang ylang is often used to discourage fear and anger. It is believed to promote a sense of security and positivity.
Bergamot Bedtime Aromatherapy Balm
Makes about 240 ml (4 ounces)
- 80 grams Organic Babassu Oil
- 40 grams Organic Nilotica Shea Butter
- 20 drops Organic Bergamot Essential Oil, FCF (furanocoumarin free)
- 20 drops Organic Lavandin Grosso Essential Oil
- 20 drops Organic Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- 10 drops Organic Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 10 drops Organic Spearmint Essential Oil
- 10 drops Juniper Essential Oil
- 10 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- Combine babassu oil and Nilotica shea butter in double boiler and heat until fully melted.
- Turn off burner and hold double boiler in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes, then add essential oils. Mix well to blend.
- Transfer to jars, cap securely, and place in refrigerator immediately.
- Allow balms to fully cool and harden before use.
Usage & Packaging
- We packaged our balms in flint glass jars. They would also look gorgeous in metal tins or in our high density plastic PET jars.
- To use, warm a generous dab of balm between your palms. Rub melted balm onto skin as you would massage oil.
Shelf Life & Stability: Please note that the formulations featured here on The Natural Beauty Workshop have not been challenge tested for stability or shelf life, and may not be suitable for commercial use as-is. For more information on shelf life, stability, and working with preservatives, check out the following article from our Information Library.