Sliding into a warm bed after a long, chilly day is one of life's sweetest pleasures. Hot water bottles make it easy to cozy up your covers before bed time. While the heat of the boiled water takes the chill out of icy sheets it can also be used to impart a soothing aroma into your bed. This simple sewing project creates a cozy flannel cover for your hot water bottle, complete with a pocket to tuck scented sachets into.
Don't have a hot water bottle handy? Buy one from us for only $5.00 each!
1. Cut the following pieces of fabric. I used a thin quilter's flannel.
- 2 – 11" x 17"
- 1 – 12" x 6"
- 1 – 32" x 2"
2. Create the Pocket: Fold the 12" x 6" piece in half, with the right sides facing each other. Sew together on 2 of the open sides. Invert, then tuck in the remaining open end, and sew over edge to close.
3. Attach the Pocket: Place the finished Pocket in the center of one of the 11" x 17" panels and pin it down with the seamed edge pointing up. Sew across the other 3 edges of the Pocket to attach it to the panel.
4. Prepare the 11" x 17" Panels: Fold down 1 inch of each 11" x 17" panel and pin. (These should be folded down on the opposite side of the fabric from the pocket.) Stitch along the bottom of the fold.
6. Sew the Cord: With the right side of the fabric facing out, fold in about 1/2" on each short edge 32" x 2" and pin. Next, fold the long edges of the piece into the center of the piece, then fold it in half and pin. Sew the length of the piece on either edge.
To create a quick sachet, simply put 3 – 4 drops of Chamomile Essential Oil (or another favorite) onto a teabag and slip it into the pocket of your Hot Water Bottle Cover. The soothing aroma will fill your bed, helping drift happily off to dream land. You can create even better sachets by filling our Small or Large Tea Bags with Herbs and Essential Oils.