Carrots make great skin care ingredients for the same reasons they make great additions to the dinner table. They are packed to the brim with beneficial nutrients, antioxidants, and beta carotene. This bounty of skin care properties makes the carrot a very popular plant in the personal care industry. Carrots are used to create Essential Oil, CO2 Extracts, Macerated Oil, and Hydrosol. The dried roots are even powdered to create a gentle, nourishing exfoliant.
The reason Carrot Products are so popular is that both the Carrot Seeds and Roots contain properties that can help to improve the skin's condition and appearance. Carrot Seed Products can increase circulation, help to combat the formation of wrinkles, and increase elasticity, all while working to repair and tone skin's texture. Carrot Root Products are rich in Vitamins A & E, making them great for use in both skin and hair care formulations. Carrot Oil, for example, is a great hair conditioner, providing moisture to the hair while helping to improve scalp condition. Because of the wide variety of Carrot Products available, it is possible to find an ingredient for almost any type of skin or hair care formula. I've listed a little information on some of the most popular Carrot Based Ingredients:
- Carrot Seed Select CO2 Extract – This potent CO2 Extract has a similar appearance and texture to an Essential Oil. It has a mild aroma and can be used in any oil soluble formulation including facial creams, body lotions, balms, butters, or salves.
- Helio Carrot Root Total CO2 Extract – Unlike most carrot products, this CO2 Extract is made from the carrot's root. Helio Carrot Root Total CO2 Extract has a deep orange color that can dye the skin if used directly. Rich in Vitamins A & E, this potent CO2 Extract should be used in small amounts in oil based formulas such as hair conditioners, body butters, lotions, and soaps.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil – A classic Carrot Seed Product, this Essential Oil is a wonderful ingredient for use in facials, creams, serums, and massage blends. Carrot Seed Essential Oil has a slightly sweet, woody aroma, making it usable in simple formulations and diltuions.
- Carrot Root Powder – This creamy orange colored powder makes a beautiful additon to soaps, scrubs, and facials. Rich in vitamins and nutrients, Carrot Root Powder can also be used as a nutritive base for masks, ubtans, and other exfoliating skin treatments.
- Carrot Oil – High in betacarotene, Vitamins A & E, and provitamin A, Carrot Oil is a nutritive addition to creams, lotions, serums, and hair care treatments. This oil has a rich, orange color that can tint the skin slightly when applied directly. To avoid this, simply dilute Carrot Oil in another Carrier Oil. When added to balms, salves, and body butters, Carrot Oil can help to soothe and moisturize dry skin and eczema.
- Organic Carrot Seed Hydrosol – This gentle Hydrosol has a very mild aroma, which is pleasantly sweet and herbaceous. Organic Carrot Seed Hydrosol makes an excellent facial toner when used directly. It can also be added to water based formulas or emulsions such as lotions and facial creams.