Coconut Honey Turmeric Facial Scrub: an all-natural scrub with honey and coconut
Exfoliation is a key part of a healthy skin care routine, but finding exfoliants that are both effective and gentle can be a challenge. Our Finely Shredded Coconut is just right for polishing delicate facial scrub without scratching or scouring. Our Coconut Honey Turmeric Facial Scrub combines this gentle exfoliant with a blend of nourishing Sacha Inchi Oil, moisturizing honey, and soothing turmeric. Altogether, these ingredients will leave skin feeling smooth and happy – just the way a well-exfoliated face should be!
Another key ingredient for our Coconut Honey Turmeric Facial Scrub is Sacha Inchi Oil. This highly moisturizing oil is packed with essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and retinol. This makes it an incredibly nutritive choice for facial care. Even in small doses, Sacha Inchi Oil is a powerhouse. Lemon Balm Hydrosol helps to provide balance to this pampering recipe. It is often used to help battle acne due to its unique combination of anti-inflammatory and anti-viral benefits.
We used Liquid Castile Soap to help emulsify the Lemon Balm Hydrosol with the Sacha Inchi Oil. This works well for the short term, so if you plan on using the scrub right away you won’t have to worry much about separation. However, if you plan to store the scrub pre-mixed, you’ll need to stir it well before use. Since this formula does not contain a preservative, it would also need to be stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Keeping the dry and wet portions of this recipe stored separately is an easy way to avoid shelf life issues. Just shake the liquids and make just enough for a single use at a time. If you plan to use this recipe as inspiration for a commercial product, we highly recommend working with a professional lab to formulate a shelf-stable recipe.
Coconut Honey Turmeric Facial Scrub
Makes one 2-ounce jar
- 3 tablespoons (19 g) Finely Shredded Coconut (Unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons (19 g) Honey Powder
- 1 teaspoon (1 g) Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Liquid Castille Soap
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Sacha Inchi Oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Lemon Balm Hydrosol
- Combine coconut, honey powder, and turmeric in a small bowl and whisk together. Transfer dry ingredients to a jar and store until ready for use.
- Combine castile soap, sacha inchi oil, and lemon balm hydrosol in a small bottle and shake well. Add to dry ingredients when ready for use.
- Stir ingredients together, then use right away.
Usage & Packaging
- Since this formula does not contain a preservative, it should be stored with the dry and wet ingredients packaged separately. If you prefer to store the formula pre-mixed, you’ll need to add a preservative to the recipe. You can learn more about working with preservatives here.
- For home use, you may also store the pre-mixed formulation in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Our 2-ounce PET Jars are just the right size for the dry portion of this scrub. For the liquids, try storing them in a 1-ounce Flint or Amble Bottle.
- To use, simply massage the finished scrub onto your face or body using a gentle circular motion. Rinse thoroughly, then follow with toner and moisturizer.
Shelf Life & Stability: Please note that the formulations featured here on The Natural Beauty Workshop have not been challenge tested for stability or shelf life, and may not be suitable for commercial use as-is. For more information on shelf life, stability, and working with preservatives, check out the following article from our Information Library.