Mineral Makeup Cream Highlighter: a shimmering highlighter stick made with pearlescent mica
Crafting your own mineral makeup is an excellent way to expand an existing product line or attract a whole new customer base. Starting with our gorgeous palette of Pearlescent Micas and Mineral Based Colorants, the possibilities for customization and color blending are endless. Simple formulations, like this Mineral Makeup Cream Highlighter Stick, are quick to make, easy to tweak, and perfect for getting started on making handmade cosmetics.
We used a blend of plant-based candelilla wax, clear jojoba, and virgin coconut oil to give this formulation a light, non-greasy texture that glides easily onto the skin. Silk powder helps to reduce the oily feeling of the balm, while pearlescent mica provides a subtle, shimmering glow. We used our Golden Glow Mica in the example shown here, but highlighters can be made from any of our light-colored micas. Try experimenting with Copper Glow, Lavender Glow, Silver Sparkle, or our un-tinted Mica Powder to produce your own custom colored mineral makeup cream highlighter.
A darker contour stick can be made by swapping the light colored mica for a darker one. Try using Amber, Tan Opal, or Oriental Beige Lustre to create a bronzing cream or cream contour stick. You can even experiment with rainbow colors to create sheer, shimmering body paints! This versatile base is perfect for playing. The richness of the tint can also be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the portion of mica.
Mineral Makeup Cream Highlighter
Makes about five 0.3 ounce tubes
- 20 grams clear jojoba oil
- 20 grams virgin coconut oil
- 10 grams candelilla wax
- 2 grams copper glow mica or golden glow mica
- 2 grams superfine silk powder
- Combine candelilla wax and coconut oil in doubler boiler and heat until fully melted.
- In a small bowl, combine jojoba with mica and silk powder. Whisk until fully blended to form a slurry.
- Add slurry to double boiler and whisk until smooth.
- Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool for several minutes at room temperature. The goal is to cool the mixture as much as possible without allowing it to become too hard to pour.
- Scrape sides and mix to re-melt any hardened mixture, give mixture one last good stir to disperse the mica, then pour into paperboard tubes.
- Allow tubes to cool and harden completely before handling.
Usage & Packaging
- Our mineral makeup cream highlighter looks great in our 0.3 Ounce Paperboard Tubes. You can also package this recipe in Lip Balm Tubes or in 1/4 Ounce Dome Jars.
- To use, apply a small amount of highlighter to skin either directly from the tube or with a makeup applicator. Follow contour lines to accentuate facial features along with a bronzer or darker shade of foundation. Blend well.
Shelf Life & Stability: Please note that the formulations featured here on The Natural Beauty Workshop have not been challenge tested for stability or shelf life, and may not be suitable for commercial use as-is. For more information on shelf life, stability, and working with preservatives, check out the following article from our Information Library.
Looking for more mineral makeup inspiration? Check out our recipe for Loose Powder Mineral Eye Shadow and How to Make Custom Lip Tints Using Natural Ingredients.