Balancing Clay Facial Mask: a deep-cleansing facial mask made with two kinds of cosmetic clay and a special blend of essential oils to promote healthy, glowing skin.
A good facial mask can be hard to find, especially for those with combination skin. Stronger cosmetic clays, such as our French Black Clay are excellent for balancing the oily skin of the T-zone. More gentle clays, like our Glacial Clay, are better suited to providing deep cleansing to dry or sensitive skin. Our Balancing Clay Facial Mask recipe brings these two powerhouse ingredients together, providing a truly balanced option for combination skin types.
Our Balancing Clay Facial Mask is actually two masks in one. Both masks are fortified with moisturizing Organic Rose Hip Seed Oil, balancing essential oils, and supportive hydrosols. We’ve even included Lactobacillus Ferment to help prolong product freshness and provide probiotic benefits. But each half of this recipe is formulated to address a different area of the face. French Black Clay tackles the oily T-zone while gentle Glacial Clay cleanses the drier, more sensitive regions such as the cheeks.
A similar formulation could easily be created using any two cosmetic clays with comparable qualities. Experimenting with different clay combinations can give your product an entirely different appearance with very similar benefits. For example, you could try using any color of our gentle Kaolin Clays along with a stronger clay such as Green Illite Clay, French Green Clay, or Sea Clay. Our gorgeous palette of natural cosmetic clays provides a great variety of compelling possibilities for your Balancing Clay Facial Mask.
About the Ingredients
A form of montmorillonite clay, our French Black Clay offers high absorption and deep-cleansing qualities best suited to normal and oily skin types. The gorgeous natural black color of French Black Clay makes a striking addition to masks, cleansers, and bar soaps.
Glacial Clay is one of the purest natural clays available. This gentle clay is rich in beneficial minerals and suitable for all skin types, including dry, sensitive, and mature skin.
Our Organic Helichrysum Hydrosol has a sweet and herbaceous aroma reminiscent of honey or tea. Much like its corresponding essential oil, Helichrysum Hydrosol is an excellent choice for supporting mature skin. It can also be beneficial for soothing sensitive skin.
Rose Hydrosol, also known as rose water, is a classic natural beauty ingredient. Rose Hydrosol makes a superb toner when used as-is and is a beneficial addition to a wide range of formulations as well. Try using Rose Hydrosol as a wetting agent in facial masks or as a water phase for creams and lotions.
Our Organic Virgin Rose Hip Seed Oil is an exceptional specimen of this wildly popular skin care ingredient. Rose Hip Seed Oil has been widely used in skin care and hair care products and is prized for its rich array of essential fatty acids. Rose Hip Seed Oil has a light, pleasant texture that is readily absorbed by the skin and makes an excellent ingredient for sensitive and mature skin types.
Lactobacillus ferment uses the same type of bacteria that you might find in cultured foods such as pickles or kimchi. In water based formulas, lactobacillus helps to battle unwanted microbes and help ensure the longevity and freshness of skin care products.
The deep floral aroma of Rose Geranium Essential Oil is quite potent. Just a few drops will add a strong scent to any formulation along with its natural skin care benefits. Rose Geranium Essential Oil is often included in products that are meant to balance and support all skin types.
Melissa, also known as Lemon Balm, Essential Oil is an excellent addition to skin care recipes and products geared toward balancing oily skin. It has a bright, fresh, citrus aroma that is believed to battle anxiety and reduce stress.
Balancing Clay Facial Mask
Makes about two 2-ounce jars
- 60 grams French Black Clay
- 50 grams Glacial Clay
- 60 ml Organic Helichrysum Hydrosol, divided
- 60 ml Rose Damascena Hydrosol, divided
- 5 ml Organic Virgin Rose Hip Seed Oil
- 1.25 ml Lactobacillus Ferment, divided
- 0.65 ml Organic Rose Geranium Essential Oil
- 0.65 ml Organic Melissa (Lemon Balm) Essential Oil
- Place the black clay in one container, and the glacial clay in another.
- Add 30 ml of each hydrosol, along with 0.65 ml of the lactobacillus ferment to the glacial clay and stir well until blended.
- Add 30 ml of each hydrosol, along with 0.65 ml of the lactobacillus ferment to the black clay and stir well until blended.
- Combine the rose hip seed oil with essential oils, then divide the blended oils equally between the two clay mixtures.
- Mix each well, then transfer to jars or use right away.
Usage & Packaging
- We recommend packaging the two mixtures side by side in jars, creating a dramatic visual effect and providing ease of use. Our 2-Ounce Flint Glass Jars are great for this purpose.
- To use the Balancing Clay Facial Mask, apply a thin layer of mask to clean, moistened skin. Black clay should be applied to the T-zone or any other oily regions of the face. Glacial Clay should be applied to the dryer portions of the skin such as the cheeks. Allow mask to set for up to 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Follow with toner and moisturizer as needed.
- Please note: While we have added a natural preservative to this formula it has not been challenge tested for shelf-stability. For personal use, this mask should be used within one week or stored in the refrigerator for up to three weeks. If you are planning to use this formulation as inspiration for a commercial product we strongly recommend working with a lab to ensure product stability.
Shelf Life & Stability: Please note that the formulations featured here on The Natural Beauty Workshop have not been challenge tested for stability or shelf life, and may not be suitable for commercial use as-is. For more information on shelf life, stability, and working with preservatives, check out the following article from our Information Library.