Orange Cocoa Whipped Body Butter: a luscious moisturizing treat for dry skin made with cocoa butter, coconut, and kukui nut oils.
There are a lot of great things to look forward to during the winter season. Some people can’t wait for cold weather to start. Others are excited for the coming holiday season. One thing that is always on the top of my winter to-do list is making a big batch of whipped body butter. When it comes to moisturizing dry skin, there is nothing quite like whipped body butter to do the job. This Orange Cocoa Whipped Body Butter recipe is my first of the season, and it is perfect for conditioning skin, cheering your mood, and encouraging a holiday spirit.
Using cocoa butter as a main ingredient allowed us to incorporate a hefty dose of softer oils into our Orange Cocoa Whipped Body Butter. Cocoa butter has a very hard texture on its own, so kukui and virgin coconut help to not only soften the butter but also reduce the thick, greasy slip that cocoa butter can have alone. If you prefer an even dryer butter, try adding 1-3 teaspoons of corn starch or silk powder to the melted butter before whipping.
The natural aromas of cocoa butter and orange essential oil give our Orange Cocoa Whipped Body Butter a very sweet and uplifting aroma. To offset the sweetness we incorporated a dash of smoky vetiver essential oil. Vetiver has a deep, resinous scent that is almost spicy. We love adding vetiver to blends to add depth and to make them more interesting. It has a very intense aroma, so just a few drops can make a big difference to a blend’s overall aroma.
About the Ingredients
The rich chocolate aroma of cocoa butter is immediately recognizable. This pure pressed butter is made from cacao, the main ingredient in chocolate. In addition to smelling delicious, cocoa butter is a superb moisturizing ingredient. It can be used to condition hair and skin when used alone or added to formulations such as lotions, soaps, or balms.
The light texture of kukui nut oil works very nicely when combined with the richer body provided by cocoa butter. Kukui nut oil glides over the skin and sinks easily into the hair and scalp. This easily absorbed oil is perfect for hair care, facial care, body care, and massage.
Easily the most popular natural skin care ingredient of the day, virgin coconut oil helps provide both moisturizing and astringent benefits. This makes it an excellent choice for all skin types, but especially beneficial to oily or combination skin. We love the light texture and dreamy aroma of virgin coconut. It’s semi-solid texture also helps to give whipped butters a soft and easily melting texture.
Bright, cheerful, and bursting with aroma, our Sweet Orange Essential Oil lays a juicy foundation for our wax melts recipe. In aromatherapy, Sweet Orange Essential Oil is often used to lift spirits and promote a sense of relaxation.
This deep, smoky scented essential oil is distilled from the roots of aromatic grasses. It’s intense, resin-like aroma adds depth and body to aromatic blends, taking the edge off of overly sweet or floral combinations. Vetiver can also act as a fixative. That means that it can help to boost or anchor other scents in perfume and skin care products.
Orange Cocoa Whipped Body Butter
Makes about 5 ounces (by volume)
- 90 grams Organic Cocoa Butter
- 40 grams Kukui Nut Oil
- 30 grams Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2.5 ml Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- 5 drops Vetiver Essential Oil
- Heat cocoa butter and virgin coconut oil in a double boiler until fully melted.
- Meanwhile, combine kukui nut oil and essential oils in a second vessel and set aside.
- Chill melted butter in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes, or until slightly cooled.
- Add kukui and essential oils to the melted butter and stir well.
- Chill butter for an additional 10-20 minutes, checking every 5 minutes or so to stir any solids into the melted oil.
- When the butter has become semi-solid (but before it becomes rock hard) transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Whisk on medium to high speed for about 5 minutes, or until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Transfer to jars using scoop, spoon, or piping bag. Chill filled jars for an additional 10-20 minutes before transporting.
Usage & Packaging
- Whipped body butters look great in jars. Check out our selection of Flint Glass, Paperboard, and PET Jars for some excellent packaging options.
- To use, simply apply a dab of butter to dry skin and massage until absorbed.
Shelf Life & Stability: Please note that the formulations featured here on The Natural Beauty Workshop have not been challenge tested for stability or shelf life, and may not be suitable for commercial use as-is. For more information on shelf life, stability, and working with preservatives, check out the following article from our Information Library.
Looking for more hand crafted whipped body butter recipes? Check out our recipes for Sweet Sandalwood Whipped Body Butter, Shimmering Whipped Body Butter (Unicorn Body Butter), and 15 Minute Whipped Body Butter.